Take Steps to Return to School Safely
August 12, 2020
As in-person learning at schools resumes, everyone should take steps to stay healthy, protect each other from getting sick and stay informed on COVID-19 updates.
Your school will have policies in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may also be starting the school year with at-home learning. Whatever the situation, these tips are intended to help parents, guardians and caregivers plan and prepare for the upcoming school year.
- Children should be advised to do the following:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer comprised of at least 60% alcohol.
- Wear a face mask.
- When possible, maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from other people, including other students.
- Avoid sharing objects with other students, including water bottles, devices, writing instruments and books.
- Monitor how they feel and tell an adult if they are not feeling well.
Parents and caregivers are advised to monitor their children for illness. Students who are sick or are awaiting COVID-19 test results should not be sent to school.
- “What to do if you’ve been exposed”. “I tested positive. What happens now?”